My first week at College 🎓

Hello! I'm a freshman study Bachelor of Arts in English at the Institute of Foreign Languages. This is my first blog about college life. Before I begin, let me tell you a little bit things about my university. Institute of Foreign Languages, aka IFL, is an institution under Royal University of Phnom Pehn Campus. It's the most popular and largest university in Cambodia. Therefore the IFL is really hard to get into. The environment around campuses is amazingly fresh and green. That's it.

So, What about my first week?

It's been two years that I didn't go to school. For my feelings, I really miss a lot. This year I've been to school, college and the first day at IFL was on Mon, 25Jan, 2021. It's been a week now. I really excited any more. A student's first week at college in one of the most significant transition period in life. It's ultimately one of the most surprising, frightening, and enjoyable experience.

College isn't so bad and of course, it's pretty awesome. Guess I'm too busy having fun and experiencing new things. I feel uncomfortable, awkward and nervous for the first time in class, yeah, of course, cuz I don't know my classmates yet. You know what, I become a class monitor by accidentally. Accidentally? Yes! The lecture let students write their biography on a piece of paper. The lecture said something but I confused what he means to be. I only heard the word "volunteer" so I raised my hand with confidence because I understood that he wants the first student, as a volunteer to stand up and self introduce to other classmates. Oh my god! fucked up! I misunderstood. But...before I went to college, I've dreamed about to become a class monitor. So I think it a law of attraction, maybe. hehe.

Well, I'm taking six subjects this semester. Main subjects are Core English and Writing Skills. For the other four subjects, I'm studying in Khmer. The courses are work pretty cool and it's not easy or hard. You just have to keep up with everything cuz it's easy to fall behind. Most of my teachers seem funny, kindly, gently and lovely but some are laid-back and late.

The way I study in college is different from high school. In high school, we only study from the textbook and teachers but college don't. I've studied as a group in class a lot. We've discussed a lot to known the option or ideas of each other. In college, we think think think and discuss discuss discuss more a lot with our classmates, partner or member of a group. The lectures don't teach but they guide us, by the way. I never took a class like this before, and it was totally different. I considered that would help me later in the future to communicate with other people. Thus, I loved the idea of taking an English class in this kind of environment moreover. I was proud to be part of it. 

Some classmates are a bit groggy, females mostly. I've met many new friends in various ways. countrysides, provinces and other schools. I wasn't at all surprised by the amount of homework or assignment. Overall, my first week of college has taught me that is actually not a scary experience, and although it may have its frightening moments, there will ultimately be even more enjoyable and experience to make up for it.

Comments